The Ferrells

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Day 2

Day 2 of the 24 Days of Christmas was a special breakfast eaten by candlelight. I know it might look like interesting food choices (I would have made something homemade) but this is what the girls really wanted. So here you have it, toaster strudel (because they hardly ever get to have them), bacon because they both love it, pears because that is what I had in the fruit bowl, and of course the most important hot chocolate with whipped cream. They were so excited to come upstairs this morning and see what I had done. My mother-in-law has fantastic Christmas dishes so I decided to pull them out of the cupboard and use them.
Doesn't their hair look beautiful in the morning when they wake up!? I'm glad the girls loved it and went to school with full tummies and great memories.
Another tradition I brought back to our family this year is something I did with my parents growing up (not every year but most years). We would light a special candle that had numbers on it and burn it down to the next number each night as a countdown to Christmas. My sister Christin has continued this tradition and gave me a copy of a different scripture they read each night along with a song that goes with it. I don't have the special candle that we used but any candle will do. They girls have loved lighting the candle every night and singing a Christmas song. It really brings the spirit into our home each night and I am so glad we are doing it. Here is a picture of us sitting around the table with the candle while Ryan is reading the scripture.

Christmas to me is really "The Most Wonderful Time of the Year". I love it.

3 comments:

Becky and Brian said...

Can't wait till most of my kids are older and to try the 24 days of Christmas. Started the candle and Dean did not like it. We forgot to do it last night so I will have to catch up.

La Famille B said...

That is so neat. I would love to try that. I can't wait to see what else you do.
Juliet

Nicole said...

I love your candlelight meals!