The Ferrells

Saturday, May 7, 2011

Grandpa Gaisford Funeral Weekend- The burial

We weren't able to go to the cemetery on the same day as my Grandpa's funeral because it is not open on weekends so we went on Monday. My Grandfather served in the military so he was buried in a national cemetery and was given a proper military burial service that was so neat to watch.
They placed an American Flag over his casket and saluted it.

A bugler played taps and they had a 21-gun salute.


They folded the flag.

And handed it to my Uncle Hal who is the oldest child.

Here are my parents and all of my siblings and my sister-in-law Michelle. We were so lucky that all of us could be there.

After the burial service we all headed over to the Mexican food restaurant my Grandparents and their children have been going to for the past 50 years, Jordan's.

It was so fun to be in a place my grandparents loved so much and just talk about our family memories. The owner's son came in and told us all how much he loved the Gaisford family and how much they will miss Harold.

All of my Aunts and Uncles were there along with many of my cousins. The food was delicious and the company was even better.

After lunch we drove by my Grandparent's old house in Phoenix. My mom grew up in this house and my grandparents lived here until 1995 when they moved to Gilbert. I loved this house and have so many wonderful memories there. When they sold it I was so sad and wished that I had the money to buy it (I was 16 at the time). It still looks the same from the outside and is just as beautiful as I remembered it to be.

When we got back to Gilbert we all met back up at Val Vista Lakes swimming pool and enjoyed swimming together.

My girls had a great time swimming with their first and second cousins.

My brother's son Drew enjoyed the nice warm weather in Arizona (he lives in Utah) and loved playing in the water.


The adults enjoyed lounging by the pool and talking.


The whole funeral weekend was just fantastic. I really love my family and all of my extended family and I was so grateful to be able to spend time with them. I am hoping that we will still see each other even though both of my grandparents have passed on. They have definitely left a great legacy behind.

No comments: