The Ferrells

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Carthage Jail

While in Nauvoo we took a 30 minute road trip to Carthage, Illinois to visit Carthage Jail. This is the jail where Joseph and Hyrum Smith were shot and killed. I had been here twice before and each time it was such a spiritual experience listening to the recording of their last few moments here on earth. Here are the kids before we took the tour.
I was hoping that if Ryan put Lexi on his shoulders with a treat she would listen and not try to touch anything. Well that didn't work out very well so I left and went outside with her because I had already been in there twice before.
Here are the girls looking at the jail cell that they would have spent most of their time in. It was a very dark room with only 2 slits in the wall to bring air in. I can't even imagine it.
Here the girls are in front of the window Joseph jumped out of after being shot.
And here is an actual bullet hole from that day because this is the original door that was there.
Here we all are in front of the jail. If you have never had the opportunity to come and visit Carthage and Nauvoo I highly recommend it. You will not be disappointed.

1 comment:

Jen Hakes said...

What a memorable trip this is! I can only imagine how it must have felt to be there.